Being a mom is a role that carries great responsibility. Mothers also have to face many challenges in their parenting and nurturing role. However, being a mom is not without its rewards. Here are some of the things that make being a mom one of the greatest experiences in life:
- Child Development – Mothers spend the greatest amount of time with their children. This is truly a rewarding experience, especially in the infancy period. You get to observe, first-hand, all the developments that take place in your little one. It is amazing when, today, you note abilities in your baby that they weren’t able to demonstrate yesterday. Being able to closely observe the growth and development of children makes it all the worthwhile being a mom.
- Developing Your Capabilities – Mothers are great at multitasking. They have to cook for their kids, take care of them, do household chores, run errands, go shopping, and even earn a living. This is quite a full plate for most people. However, the reward in all of this is that it allows you to develop your capabilities. You learn to be patient, become a good listener, develop organizational skills, and even engage in counseling. Being a mom allows you to tap into your capabilities and live life as fully as you can.
- Expressions of Affection – Granted, kids don’t always give you a warm hug or say “I love you, mom.” However, when they do, it is spontaneous and genuine. It touches your heart, absolutely, as a mom when your kids express their love and appreciation for you in their own childlike ways. It makes all the trying times and challenges that come with being a mom worthwhile. The surprise gifts they give you or acts of kindness and consideration that they display are simply precious. My son brought me a flower on his way in from school the other day. As he gave it to me he said, “This is for you, Mom. It looked pretty so I thought you should have it.” It melted my heart.
- Getting Hugged – We all could do with a hug, every now and then. There’s nothing quite like the hug you get from your child. It is spontaneous, sincere and simply adorable. They don’t even need to accompany the hug with “I love you.” Just having your child come up to you and hug you is enough reward for the rigorous job that being a mother is.
- Reliving Youth – One of the greatest things about being a mom is that you’re constantly able to relive your own childhood experiences. You have to engage with your kids in the games they play, read their books, watch the cartoons with them, and do lots of other stuff together. When I bring myself to be at the same level as my kids, it allows me to understand the psychology of children better. It also helps to keep me young at heart.
- Sharing Their Success – When you see your kids accomplish a goal, whatever that may be, it gives you such a feeling of triumph. Maybe it is managing to read a tough word right, scoring a goal in a soccer game or just conquering a fear. It is great to be able to share the success of your kids. It is truly a moment of shared growth as goal achievement usually involves overcoming obstacles. When kids triumph over an issue or manage to grasp what was previously beyond them, it truly lifts you up as a mom.
- Teaching – I love the informal teaching role that comes with being a mom. You have to show your children how to accomplish tasks, teach them about life and guide them through situations. Mothers have to enrich their children emotionally, physically and socially. This includes teaching them to share, how to show kindness, forgiving others, saying sorry, thanking others, and so much more that helps to make the world a better place.